Lahori fish is known for its spicy distinct taste. It is light, crispy and crunchy from outside while moist , tender, aromatic with flavours from inside. You can use your choice of fish for this recipe. I generally use BASA fish fillets , as its boneless.
But lot many people prefer fish on the bone as it tastes best.
Half kg fish
Lemon juice – 2-3 tbsp
salt as per taste
Turmeric – 1/4 tbsp
Garlic paste – 1 tsp
Coriander seeds – 2 tsp
Ajwain – 1/2 tsp
Red chilli flakes – 1 tsp heaped
Black cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Gram flour – 2-3 tbsp
Kasuri methi – 1 tsp
First of all clean the fish and pat them dry. The fish should not be watery at all and this is very important.
1. Now dry roast coriander seeds, black cumin seeds and ajwain and grind it coarsely.
2. Marinate fish by adding salt, lemon juice, turmeric, red chilli flakes,garlic paste, the coarsely grinded masala we made, kasuri methi and keep in fridge for 2 hours.
3.Once marination is over, apply gram flour and mix well. Do not add any water to it. If needed add more gram flour for coating each piece of fish.
4. Deep fry the fish or you can also shallow fry if you wish to avoid excess oil.
5. Just don’t move the fillets a lot if shallow frying, otherwise the light coating will break and that won’t be pretty to look at as well as eat.
6. Once fried, sprinkle the chaat masala before you serve your guests.
7. Serve with any salad and green chutney.