Preparation time: 20 min.
Cooking time : 30 min.
Serving Size : 4
Kerala Fish Curry
- 10-12 Fish pieces (Any fish)
- Kashmiri chilli powder – 2 table spoon
- Desi chilli powder -1/2 table spoon
- Turmeric powder – A small pinch
- Kokum – 2-3 pieces
- Ginger – 1 medium piece
- Garlic – 5-6 pieces
- Onion – 1 medium
- Curry leaves
- Fenugreek powder / seeds – ½ tea spoon
- Mustard seeds – ½ tea spoon
- Oil – 3 table spoon
- Salt – To taste
- Soak Kokum in 1 cup water .
- Mix both chilli powder .
- Heat a pan and add chilli powder . Roast till it turns maroon in colour.
- Cut ginger, garlic and onion in small pieces.
- Grind roasted chilli powder, 1/4th of ginger and garlic, and half of onion by adding a little water
- Make a good paste of it and keep it aside.
- Heat the kadai and add oil.
- Add mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds.
- Add chopped onion, ginger and garlic.
- Once it starts to turn golden in colour, add the chilli paste to it.
- Add 1 cup water and let it to boil.
- When it start to boil, add kokum and thereafter the fish pieces .
- Add more water . Make sure that the water level should be just above the fish, so that you will get a thick gravy.
- Add curry leaves and salt to taste.
- Allow to boil. It takes 15 -20 minutes to cook.
- If you like the taste of coconut oil, you can add 1 table spoon of coconut oil to the curry when it boil.
- Fish curry is ready now. Allow the curry to get settle for 1 hour for proper mix of the spices.
- Kindly remember to remove the Kokum after some time.
- Serve the curry with rice, appam or tawa roti.