Today I’m sharing the recipe of a healthy breakfast, Fada/Cracked Upma. Cracked has all the benefits of wheat flour. It has a lot of Nutrition. Because it contains wheat bran and wheat germ, cracked wheat is an excellent source of Fiber. And it is best for a low –fat diet. It has no saturated fat, trans fat and no cholesterol.
Preparation time : 30 min.
Cooking time : 15 min.
Serving Size : 4
- Fada/dalia (Broken Wheat) – 2 cup
- Turmeric Powder – a pinch
- Salt – To taste
- Vegetables cubed (your choice) – 1 cup
- Onion – 1 medium, chopped
- Ginger- 1 inch piece, chopped
- Green chilli – 4-5 no.s , chopped
- Curry leaves- a handful
- Mustard seeds- ¼ tea spoon
- Oil – 2 tablespoon
- Garam masala/Chinese masala – ¼ teaspoon , if needed
- Soak fada for 20-25 minutes
- In a pressure cooker , cook the soaked fada , by adding salt, turmeric powder and water. The water level should be 1 inch above wheat. Cook till one whistle. Keep it aside and let it cool.
- You can cook the veggies either with fada or separate.
- Heat oil and add mustard seeds. When it start cracking, add curry leaves and then onion.
- Then add ginger and green chillies. Sauté well.
- If you want you can add garam masala or Chinese masala.
- Then add the boiled fada/dalia and vegetables. Mix well.
- Add salt if needed.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 5 minutes in low flame.
Serve the fada